Shendurney Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area in the Western Ghats, India. It is located in Kollam district, Kerala and comes under the control of Agasthyamalai Biosphere Reserve. It was established in 1984 and comprises 171 square kilometres.
The trees in this forest have more of still root and Knee roots for them to grow steadily in the swamp. Mostly they are will nutmegs. Most of the specious in Myristica swamp forests are endemic and red limited once. Thenmala dam reservoir has a variety of birds specious such as River Tern, Teal, Cormorant, and Egret, Kite etc. Forest department provides boating services in the dam reservoir. Shendurunny wild life sanctuary starts from Kaltalipara. Here we have a good variety of trees. In summer you can see elephants and deer in this region. The distance from Thenmala to Kattalipara in 9 Km.
If you travel 15 Km from kulathupuzha through the forest you will come across their estate area known as Rockwood .It is the British started tea, Coffee and cardamom here. Then the native bought the && and planted rubber and plantains. Here you can do tracking and enjoy the beauty of the nature and lake photographs of animals. You can go for bird watching, butterflies and reptiles in this region
- shenduruny wildlife sanctuary is the only wildlife sanctuary in kollam. The Forest area around the Thenmala dam reservoir is named as shendureny .The name shrnduruny comes from an endemic species of tree which is common in this area called chenkurunji. (Tirunelveli Red Wood), scientifically known as Gluta Travancorica .The Forest covers an area of 171 sq.km and was declared as a wildlife sanctuary in 1984.
- Four rivers mainly Umayar, shenduruny, kulathupuzha and Kazhuthurutty comes together to from the kalladayar Thenmala Dam reservoir is built in parappar, a place close to Thenmala and this dam reservoir provides water to the districts of kollam and pathanamthitta.
- shendurunny located in the western Ghats is rich in biodiversity. This place is close to the Aaryonkavu tunnel and is a habitat of various plants and animals
- Elephants the biggest mammal in land live among the tree and ponds in the forest. It is also like habitat of wild animals such as tigers, fox etc.
- The specialty of the shenduruny wildlife sanctuary is the Myristica. Swamp Forest. Myristica trees are grown abundantly and also Syzygium are common in this region.
It is 12 km away from Aryankavu. The British started Tea, cardamom, doves, rubber, coconut & plantain here .Over 300 families live hue and have a population of around 2500 people. The hills here resembles rose petals hence the name Rosemala .You can see elephants, Indian Gaur, Malabar Giant Squirrel, Reindeer etc in this region.
Umayar & shendurunny joins together to form the umayar. It is only 26Km away from Thenmala dam. You can see tigers in this region. Almost all wild animals are seen in this region.
The geographical nature, forest diversity and species diversity make shendurunny district. This biodiversity should be protected along with the grow of tourism.
Article by : Charan, Wildlife Specialist